The Port Rowan (Ont.) MB Church held a commissioning service for their new youth pastor, Amanda Baese, on June 6. After a lengthy search, and not sure where to look next, someone in the pastoral search committee happened to read the interview with John Neufeld in the Oct. 24, 2003 MB Herald, where he urges churches to look for workers within their own ranks. Amanda’s name came up immediately. She grew up in Port Rowan and has been a member of the church since her baptism. She comes with a wealth of experience in youth work, having served on the summer team at Camp Crossroads for many years. She has a BA degree in Christian Ministry from Briercrest Bible College, Caronport, Sask. and recently graduated from Atlantic Baptist University in New Brunswick with her BEd degree.
Pictured (l–r) Ontario MB Conference minister Mark Johnson, Amanda Baese, pastor Sandy Young.
After seeking God’s guidance, she accepted the invitation to return to her home church for a 16-month term to serve the youth.
James Simpson has resigned as youth pastor of Lakeview Community Church in Killarney, Man. He and Julie and their three girls Rachel, Cara and Petra are open to God’s further direction for them.
Paul Loewen finished his ministry at Alderbrook Community Church, Abbotsford, at the end of June.
On June 20, the Boissevain (Man.) MB Church bid farewell to Tom and Andrea Warner, who are going to serve the Steinbach (Man.) EMC Church. Manitoba MB Conference minister Herb Kopp gave a challenge based on the genealogy in Matthew, showing how the Warners’ 7-year service fit into the time and place of the Boissevain Church. The gift of a tranquil lake scene suited them well, as they enjoy packing a thermos of tea and driving to one of the nearby lakes to hike, pray and meditate.
After much prayer and seeking the Lord, the Executive Council of the BC MB Conference is pleased to announce that Steve Berg has accepted a call to serve as Conference minister, effective October 1. Having served faithfully as a pastor in the Conference, Steve will engage his gifts to bolster what God is doing in and through the B.C. churches. He and Karen have been at South Abbotsford MB Church the past 7 years.
Dan and Kathy Stobbe have accepted the lead pastor position of Northwest Community Church, Meadow Lake, Sask., effective mid-August. They served at Killarney (Man.) MB Church for 12 years, and before that at Gospel Fellowship Church in Foam Lake. Their sons Darcy and Kevin are in high school; sons Dallas and Kenton attended Bethany College the past year.
Carolynn Wiens of Gateway Christian Fellowship, St. Catharines, has been doing a six-month service assignment in the Emanuel Day Care Centre in Asuncion, Paraguay. The Centre assists single and low-income mothers in raising their children.
The Fellowship Choir of Bakerview Church, Abbotsford, directed by Ernie Block, held their Christmas concert Dec. 14 and 16. Wilmer Kornelson wrote the script and Selma Warkentin did the reading.
Baptisms and new members
Note: Baptism photos appear in the paper version of the Herald but not in the online version.
- Four people were baptized at Panorama Community Church in Surrey, B.C. February 15: Michelle Gregory, Will Kerr, Tammy Rea and Margo Vanderweele. Twelve people were baptized May 9: Brenda Khoo, Kerstin Bauer, Erin Davidson, Sharon Greene, Talia Koehn, Stacey McFall, Sarah Richmond, Carmyn Sharpe, Corwin Sikora, Karen Smyth, Sara Tarp and Susan Uswak.
- On June 6, the River West Christian Church, Edmonton, baptized Janine Ting-Mak, Selena Willier and Graham Ackeral.
- Willingdon Church, welcomed 7 new members Mar. 6 and 7, 4 by baptism and 3 by confession of faith. Pictured are (top, l–r) Cecelia Chan (cf), Bobbi Salkeld (b), Chris Lori (b), (bottom, l–r) Kevin Hung (b), Don Mercer (b), Jiang Chian Lee (cf) and Wei Jen Kuo (cf).
- Willingdon Church, Burnaby, B.C. welcomed 8 new members Apr. 3 and 4, 3 by baptism, 5 by confession of faith. Pictured are (top, l–r) Aurora Cuenca (cf), Irina Bergqkvist (cf), Ann Shackleton (b), Cheng-Yu (William) Lin (b), (bottom, l–r) Sonja Tang (cf), Kevin Yuan (b), Lara Williams (cf) and Don Williams (cf).
- North Kildonan MB Church, Winnipeg, welcomed 16 members by baptism May 30. Pictured are (back, l–r) Shannon Oneschuk, Stefan Harder, Conley Dueck, Eldon Falk, Axel Doerksen, Rick Hiebert, Chris Duester, Joan Drosdoski, Charlotte Teichrob, Diana Bloodworth; (front) Marcie Harder, Lori Nolan, Erna Falk, Krissy Friesen, Elisha Duester and Courtney Guenther.
- Christian Fellowship Chapel, Orillia, Ont., welcomed 7 new members May 16, 6 by baptism and 1 by transfer. Pictured are (back, l–r) pastor Murray Russell, Kendra Rose (b), Caroline Hawes (b), Jordan Macklem (b); (front) Laura Gowanlock (b), Nathan Macklem (b), Mary Whitney (t) and Darlene McArthur (b).
- Linden (Alta.) MB Church welcomed 11 new members recently, 8 by baptism and 3 by transfer. Pictured are: (l–r) Bob Chater (t), Pat Chater (t), Becky Csakany (b), Brianna Csakany (t), Jessica Leinweber (b), Alex Peters (b), Chandra Esau (b), Josh Goetz (b), Randy Williams (b), Evan Griesbach (b), Brady Born (b), pastor Kevin Downey and pastor Konrad Loewen.
- Culloden MB Church, Vancouver, welcomed 3 members by baptism Apr. 11. Pictured are Jodi Bercic, John Bercic, Steve Rempel and pastor Ted Klassen.
- Parliament Community Church, Regina, welcomed 6 new members May 30, 5 by baptism and 1 by transfer. Pictured are (back, l–r) pastor Jason Unruh, pastor Philip Gunther, Tim Friesen (b), Brian Wiens (t); (front) Lauren Grebinski (b), Jennifer Squires (b), Aimee Wiens (b) and Marcey Norman (b).
- Fort Garry MB Church, Winnipeg, welcomed 2 new members Apr. 11, 1 by baptism and 1 by transfer. Pictured are Cynthia Buhler (b) and Korwynn Buhler (t).
- Faithworks, Winnipeg, accepted 12 new members Apr. 11, 2 by baptism. Pictured are (l–r) Freweini Solomon and June Catrijsse, both baptized.
- Vineland MB Church, Ont., welcomed 10 new members Mar. 7, 4 by baptism and 6 by confession of faith. Pictured are (back, l–r) pastor Andrew Thiessen, Ryan Walton (b), Shane Dirksen (b), Michel David (cf), Herb Charlton (cf), pastor Doug Schulz; (front) Victoria Lang (b), Laura Loney (b), Kathleen Loney (cf), Laura David (cf), Millie Charlton (cf) and Ruth Glover (cf).
- Boissevain (Man.) MB Church welcomed 11 new members June 13, 10 by baptism and 1 by transfer: Pictured are (back, l–r) pastor Geoff Unrau, Milton Dueck (b), Sean Unrau (b), Reinhardt Wiebe (b), Sheldon Dyck (b), Brad Reimer (b), Carson Dyck (b), Glen Buhler (b), pastor Tom Warner; (front) Holly Kroeker (b), Leanne Wiebe (t), Sarah Unrau (b) and Terry Reimer (b).
- McIvor Avenue MB Church, Winnipeg, welcomed 8 new members June 6, 5 by baptism and 2 by confession of faith. Pictured are (l–r) pastor Terence Hoorman, Ghislaine Gauthier (b), Brett Hampton (b), Drew Hampton (b), Reid Kilgour (b), Devyn Toews (b), Linda Badgley (cf), Val Boucher (cf), pastor Doug Enns. Not pictured, Bruce Boucher (cf).
- Coaldale MB Church, Alberta, welcomed 4 new members Mar.7, 2 by baptism and 2 by confession of faith. Pictured are (l–r) pastor Lorne Willms, Stephanie Birch (b), Deanne Willms (b), Mike Willms (cf), Justin Clark (cf) and pastor Tim Clark.
- Northside Community Church, Mission, B.C., welcomed 9 new members Nov. 30, 2003, 2 by baptism, 2 by transfer and 5 by confession of faith. Pictured are (back, l–r) Ted Smith (t), Lynn Smith (t), Diane Allyn (cf); (middle) pastor Ron Redekop, Laurie Leslie (b), Eddie Woodland (cf), Ettie Janzen (cf); (front) Valerie Scott (b), Glen Randall (cf) and Jolleen Randall (cf).
- Community Fellowship Church, Newton, Man., baptized 2 youth May 30. Pictured are (l–r) pastor Jeff Banman, Calen Froese , pastor Ramsy Unruh and Jen Giesbrecht.
- Leamington (Ont.) MB Church welcomed 10 new members Apr. 9, 8 by baptism, 2 by transfer. Pictured are (back, l–r) instructor Roger Epp, Linda Harris (b), Brent Clayton (b), Bob MacKenzie (b), pastor Henry Regier, (front, l–r) Rebecca Wiens (b), Jenny Morin (b), Musette Hoeppner (t), Melanie Girard (b), Betty MacKenzie (b). Not pictured: Aaron Janke (b) and Lin Mei Lee (b).